A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)

A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7) - Julie Anne Long I really enjoyed this book despite some irritating editing issues. The heroine, Eve, is alternately referred to as both Lady Wareham and Lady Balmain. Often in mid-conversation. I managed to mentally merge the two names into Lady Bareham while reading in a feeble attempt at lessening the distraction. There are also numerous other little editing mistakes just distracting enough to force a re-read of the sentence to make sure I wasn’t suffering a sudden decline in my reading comprehension skills. But enough with the negative. On to the positive.

I love character-driven romances with lots of tension and this book delivers on both. Adam and Eve’s (a bit obvious but also amusing!) relationship is lovely to watch unfold. They are both likable characters and become friends first before they fall in love. The book has humor and I really love Julie Ann Long's talent in writing dialogue. She also managed to make me cry a little during one scene that I found particularly touching. The first “kiss” scene is unique and just adds to the mounting tension between the two. The sex scenes are fairly tame but well-done and worth the wait. There are several secondary characters but they add to the story line instead of functioning as a unnecessary page fillers.

This book is a part of the Pennyroyal Green series but can easily be read as a stand-alone. It’s not my favorite in the series (that honor still belongs What I Did for a Duke) but it’s definitely in the top three.