Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)

Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5) - Elizabeth Hoyt I've read most of the Maiden Lane series and this book is neither the best nor the worst of the lot so far for me. It falls squarely in the middle on my enjoyment scale.

Megs and Godric are both very likable characters with sad romantic pasts. He's living a shell of a life ever since his beloved wife took ill and eventually died. His only passion is being the Ghost of St. Giles and fighting crime like an 18th century Spiderman. She is also mourning the death of her lover as well as an unborn child due to miscarriage.

Godric and Megs have a lot to overcome in order to find love with each other. The author does a nice job of building up the tension and their early sexual encounters are believably done. The conflict in the story stems not only from their inability to let go of past loves but also their conflicting opinions about his night time activities as the Ghost. There are a lot of characters from previous books in this series and I had a hard time keeping them all straight. There is also quite a bit time spent learning about a woman named Artemis and the Duke of SomethingOrOther who will clearly be featured in the next installment. Their story line is shoehorned in rather awkwardly and didn't add anything to Megs and Godric's story. I found it distracting and unnecessary.

Overall, this is a solid read but not one I'm going to remember for very long or ever read again.