Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3)

Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3) - Lorraine Heath Harrumph. I'm a fan of Lorraine Heath. I adore lonely heroes. I love practical heroines. And yet the best I can rate this book is two stars.

Rafe is battling childhood demons and trauma. As a result, he loathes being touched and doesn't want any personal connections because he believes himself unworthy. His overwhelming fear of abandonment informs all of his decisions. Evelyn is the illegitimate daughter of an earl and is forced into becoming Rafe's mistress after her half-brother kicks her out of her home following the earl's death. She longs for love and family which is exactly what Rafe refuses to supply.

I should have devoured this book and reveled in the angst and tension but nothing clicked for me. It took too long to discover Rafe's secrets so instead of feeling sympathy for him early on, I thought he was a real asshole for treating Evelyn so terribly. The tension between the two was lacking and even when Rafe shows some small kindnesses to Evelyn, he follows it by saying something hurtful. She should have chosen to make her way on the mean streets of London and just left the lout, if you ask me.

Of course, events quickly conspire (obligatory danger scene, natch) and Rafe realizes he's been a fool and an ass. Too late for me but Evelyn is kinder hearted and accepts his about face with open arms. .