A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)

A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3) - Tessa Dare I really liked this book. It’s my favorite so far in the Spindle Cove series.

Despite having some issues with the hero, Thorne, and his constant “woe is me.. I’m not worthy” whining, I completely bought into the romance. There is a nice build-up of sexual and romantic tension. The heroine, Kate, is very straight-forward and direct (almost to the point of being anachronistic) and really has to force Thorne to accept his worthiness and let go of his very sad past. They have some great banter and I loved watching Thorne finally give in to Kate.

What keeps this from being a five star read is the last 20% of the book. It just didn’t ring true that Kate’s newfound relatives would be so appalled by her past considering how “progressive and eccentric” they are by Society’s standards. I found the swordfight stupid and the aftermath seemed like a lot of sequel-baiting. The final resolution to Kate’s dilemma surprised me but not in a good way.

So overall, a fun read despite some issues with the ending.

Note: I read book #2 in this series over a year ago and barely remember any details which didn’t hinder my enjoyment of this one so I feel it can be read as a stand-alone.