Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)

Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5) - Sabrina Jeffries Oh boy. I really wanted to like this book but no matter how many chances I gave it (second and third and even fourth chances), I finally had to admit defeat.

I love "fish-out-of-water" stories so the idea of a headstrong American woman sailing to England to live with her husband-by-proxy stuffy English Viscount was right up my alley. Sadly, though, the execution of this premise falls flat, opportunities are missed, and the main characters are all over the map in their thoughts and actions.

I knew I was in trouble when, by Chapter Five, the husband-by-proxy explanation and plot set up is still taking place. It isn't a complicated enough plot to require that many pages.
Things continue downhill from there. Abigail and Spencer are completely schizophrenic in their reactions to each other. They ping-pong wildly back and forth between "he/she is wonderful and I must have him/her" to "I need out of this marriage as soon as possible." I'm all for a little bit of the push-pull of attraction but this crap goes on right up until the epilogue. It was exhausting and frustrating. As a result, I didn't like either him or her. The side characters are plentiful and not particularly interesting or likable either.